Marketing Strategies of Newspapers Essay

Essay Topic: Essay, Marketing, Marketing strategies, Strategies,

Paper type: Marketing,

Words: 1501 | Published: 01.20.20 | Views: 155 | Download now

The newspaper market, like different markets are becoming competitive for the extent that survival takes a lot of imagination and innovation in the way the organization is done. This is the circumstance in which the 3 major magazines on the Zambian market, i. e the Post, the Times of Nyimba, zambia, and the Zambia Daily Postal mail newspapers find themselves. Currently, the Post paper is the marketplace leader with a market share of eighty percent (80%), the days of Nyimba, zambia newspaper as well as the Zambia Daily Mail, along with the rest of the different newspapers reveal the remaining 20% (20%).

Just for this study, major is upon three papers, The Post which is a secretly owned newspaper and the Times during the Zambia and the Zambia Daily Mail that happen to be stated owned newspapers. The difference in functionality amongst these kinds of three newspaper publishers has also been reflected in the differences in the audience of the 3 (3) magazines which is mentioned below. Origin: Synovate Study Center 2006 For any of the papers to gain competitive advantage and permanent profitability, there is need to come up with a proper organization approach. One approach can be described as proper understanding and management of the common business variables like the quality of the item, the prices of the merchandise, the circulation of the merchandise, and the promotion of the merchandise.

A newspaper firm are able to formulate appropriate differentiation tactics based on the above mentioned parameters which are commonly known as the four Ps’ of the marketing mix (Kotler, 2003: 15). The discrepancies in the market reveal prompted the researcher to check out the business supervision aspect of three newspapers, we. e. how they were applying and using the four Ps’ of the advertising mix. The goal was to determine how the three newspaper publishers were using the portions of the promoting mix in so that it will gain competitive advantage for the Zambian market. Essentially, this is certainly a relative study which looks into the way the three newspapers were using the marketing mix to enhance their industry shares.

The analysis was expected to reveal right after in the using the promoting mix and show whether this had a significant impact on the market shares in the three paperwork. This is not withstanding the fact the performance of an entity depends on the different functional parts of business administration. However , through this particular case, what was staying put to test out was the practical area of marketing, and in the case the application of the elements of the marketing combine. The liberalization of the Zambian economy 20 years ago saw the emergence of various entities for the Zambian market.

This included the print mass media. The Post newspaper is definitely one such newspaper that come about as a private owned newspapers. Prior to 1991, there were mainly two prominent papers, we. e. the changing times of Zambia, and the Nyimba, zambia Daily Mail newspapers. In this study, the focus was on a single private paper, i. at the the Content newspaper, and the state held newspapers, i. e. The days of Nyimba, zambia and the Nyimba, zambia Daily Mail newspapers. Presently, on the Zambian market, the Post newspaper is the marketplace leader having a market share of eighty (80%) percent probably surpassing the changing times of Nyimba, zambia and the Zambia Daily Email which get into the remaining 20 (20%) percent.

This postures the question of why should a newly delivered newspaper, we. e the Post Magazine, out match the old magazines like the Times during the Zambia and the Zambia Daily Mail newspaper publishers. Obviously, the marketplace share has to do with the acceptability of the conventional paper. And from a business managing point of view, this kind of acceptability depends on the paper’s marketing strategies that happen to be based on the marketing blend.

Hence the explanation for the research in this area. The history of each and every of the above stated newspapers is as uses: The Times during the Zambia magazine The Times of Zambia can be described as national daily newspaper released in Nyimba, zambia. During the colonial period this kind of newspaper was known as The North News. It absolutely was founded in 1944 as a twice-weekly paper aimed at a European readership, possessed first simply by Roy Welensky and then by the South Photography equipment newspaper string Argus.

Devis then marketed the newspaper to Lonhro, under which will it was has been renowned the Times of Zambia in 1 September 1965. Lonhro had only bought out Heinrich Brewery which experienced briefly controlled a daily, The Zambia Instances and every week Zambia News. Criticism of the government beneath the editorship of Dunston Kamana in the early 1970s and the change with the government into a one get together state generated the acquiring Times of Zambia by the United National Freedom Party (UNIP) government who have then equiped its own editor, Vernon Mwaanga, in 1972.

If the Movement intended for Multiparty Democracy (MMD) reached power in November 1991, it attended court proclaiming UNIP got illegally taken over the magazines. The tennis courts found in prefer of the MMD, and ruled that the papers’ ownership become transferred to the Zambian Federal government. The Times of Zambia is actually owned by the Zambian Government. After the freedom of Zambia in 1964, the print press was manage by the non-public sector with Times of Zambia then recently been published by Lonrho as well as the name Daily then Central African Postal mail was manage by Jeff and Astor. In 1969 it was purchased by the ruling United National Party (UNIP) (Banda, 2004).

In 1983, the paper industries along with most other industries had been nationalized within government’s humanism. The two magazines were in that case turned into federal government companies and heavily backed by the authorities. In 1990, there was the creation of multiparty federal government and an open, market driven economy. Secretly owned newspaper publishers were reintroduced and according to the National Records (2003) 137 publications, both equally newspapers and magazines, had been registered between 1991 and 2002.

Almost all of the registered newspaper publishers were both aborted or died right after the first few issues. The cover price from the newspapers has remained the same in Zambia in K3000. 00 with new newspapers coming in and supplying a lower price and then faltering to survive completely. The other sources of cash flow for newspaper publishers are throughout the advertising which includes grown with newspapers getting and more high-priced. This case research is intended at studying the many marketing strategies utilized by newspaper corporations in Nyimba, zambia and how they will increase competiveness.

My goal is to understand the current marketing plans of the major newspapers in Zambia, specifically The Content, Daily Postal mail, Times of Nyimba, zambia, The Guardian and The Reflection. The purpose of the analysis is to be familiar with current marketing strategies and produce recommendations to boost competitiveness with this sector. 1 ) 2 Backdrop to the study After the launch of the multi-party system as well as the subsequent liberalization of the overall economy, in Zambia, in 1991, the saw the emergence of varied types of privately held newspapers as well as the two frequent newspapers, we. e The days of Nyimba, zambia and the Zambia Daily Email.

In all, the mid nineties, there were several privately owned newspapers in addition to the two standard state held newspapers mentioned above. What transpired is that some exclusive newspapers arrived and gone, whilst both state owned newspapers have got failed to remain competitive and increase their market shares, but they have got survived through Government financial assistance. However , 1 privately owned or operated newspaper, the Post Paper, has ongoing to expand its business and today it’s the market leader in its relevant market.

The question of interest towards the researcher is to determine the type and success of the sales strategies that the Newspaper publishers are using to boost their business in the relevant markets. 1 ) 3 Research Problem Since the Liberalization of Zambia’s economic climate in 1991, many private magazines have come about to join the already existing express owned types. However , almost all of the privately possessed newspapers have got collapsed, plus the two express owned types are faltering to increase all their market, tend to be surviving on Government financial assistance.

But 1 private magazine, the Post, has ongoing to prosper to become the industry leader. There is certainly still little or no competition in this industry with only a few while newspapers living through and one major magazine The Content is getting 80 percent of the market share (Banda 2004). Given this background, the researcher wants to decide the type of marketing strategies newspapers employ, and the degree to which these marketing strategies work well.

Consequently, this will help the canal of the newspaper publishers to improve their marketing strategies so as to provide quality providers to their customers, and thereby increase their business and competitiveness.

Related posts

Save your time and get your research paper!

Get My Essay